Offsite manufactured structural timber systems have advanced greatly in recent years, offering genuine cost, programme, and performance assurance for self builders, especially when backed the STA’s Quality Assurance Scheme.
By using one of our members to deliver your self build project you will be assured that they meet or even exceed current standards and regulatory requirements. We have members who focus solely on the self build market and will support you through the whole design and build process, and with advancements in offsite technology, self builders can also benefit from the enhanced value structural timber can bring to projects.
Why Use Structural Timber for Your Self Build Project?
On average, approximately 13,000 people self build their own homes in the UK each year. Self built homes are typically bespoke, with layouts designed around your needs and lifestyle, and provide a high level of finish, so the fabric of the building plays a key role. So why choose structural timber:
Speed of construction – the high degree of factory prefabrication enables a rapid build process that is not adversely influenced by inclement weather.
Cost and programme certainty – offsite construction for onsite installation makes programming and costing more predictable than traditional site-based methods.
Quality assurance – stringent factory quality controls enhance the manufacture of offsite buildings, delivering a high-performance building envelope.
Energy efficiency – high-performance, airtight structures vastly reduce energy consumption for the life of the building.
Design flexibility – with a wide range of innovative products and cladding solutions, timber systems can meet the aspirations of homeowners, designers and architects.
Sustainability – all STA members are strongly encouraged to only use timber from PEFC or FSC- certified sources, ensuring responsible management of the world’s forests.
The ultimate natural building material, well known for its versatility, sustainability, and high-performance, structural timber also offers extensive benefits in terms of speed, efficiency, and environmental impact for your self-build project
Why Use An STA Member?
Our stringent quality assurance programme is specifically designed to offer reassurances to both clients and stakeholders that all STA member companies operate to an independently audited quality standard.
- STA Assure accreditation assures competent management processes
- Both manufacturing and site installation are part of the STA Assure audit process
- STA Assure has three levels of accreditation based on quality standards
- Mandatory adherence to the Site Safe Scheme is a fundamental part of STA Assure
- In January 2019, the STA reached a formal agreement with the NHBC, stating the NHBC will accept STA Assure Gold members as compliant with Chapter 6.2 of NHBC’s assessment processes for timber structures without the need for further review or completing an HB2445 form. Seven other industry-leading structural warranty and building control bodies also formally recognise the scheme: LABC Warranty, Premier Guarantee, Protek Warranty, Build-Zone Warranty, Self-Build Zone Warranty, BuildStore BuildCare Warranty and ABC+ Warranty.
Structural Timber Systems
The versatility of structural timber systems is well documented and ideal for self builders focusing on building sustainably, reducing their carbon footprint, and creating a future proof home. Our members specialise in different technologies for self build projects, including timber frame, SIPS, mass timber and oak framing.
Superb environment credentials, simple onsite installation, predictable, and reliable for risk-free results. Follow the link for more information on timber frame.
Durable, energy-efficient, low carbon footprint, and space efficiency for improved living. Follow the link for more information on SIPs.